Normativa otros paísesAbr. 26, 2012
Canadá: solicitan modificar el Reglamento de Productos Alimenticios y Farmacéuticos para permitir el uso de aditivos alimentarios
16 April 2012
|Committee on Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures||Original: English/
The following communication, received on 5 April 2012, is being circulated at the request of the Delegation ofCanada.
|Regulations Amending the Food and Drug Regulations (1557 – Food Additives)|
| Health Canada has received submissions from industry requesting that the Food and Drug Regulations be amended to enable the use of the following food additives.
As a means to improve the responsiveness of the regulatory system, Interim Marketing Authorizations (IMAs) were issued to permit the immediate use of these food additives, while the regulatory process was undertaken to formally amend the Regulations. They were published in the “Government Notices” section of the Canada Gazette, Part I, as follows:
– 3 February 2001, for citric acid as a pH adjusting agent in canned peaches;
– 18 August 2001, for ascorbic acid as a preservative in canned mandarin oranges;
– 10 August 2002, for calcium chloride as a firming agent in canned apricots;
– 13 September 2003, for citric acid as a pH adjusting agent in various standardized canned vegetable products (notified as G/SPS/N/CAN/187);
– 11 March 2006, for citric acid as a pH adjusting agent in standardized canned apples and various standardized canned vegetable products (notified as G/SPS/N/CAN/258);
– 23 December 2006, for calcium disodium EDTA and disodium EDTA as sequestering agents in various standardized canned legumes, with the exception of canned green beans, canned wax beans and canned peas (notified as G/SPS/N/CAN/280);
– 13 December 2008, for citric acid as a pH adjusting agent in the production of pickled beets (notified as G/SPS/N/CAN/374); and
– 30 July 2011, for citric acid as a pH adjusting agent in the production of canned cut baby corn (notified as G/SPS/N/CAN/555).
Members were informed that a revision to the notifications would be published at the start of the amendment process at which time a comment period would be provided. (In the case of the February 2001, August 2001 and August 2002 Government Notices, these IMAs were issued prior to the date Canada began to notify its IMAs. At the time that these IMAs were issued, it was anticipated that the WTO notification would occur later when the appropriate regulatory amendments were published in the Canada Gazette, Part I.)
However, in July 2006, the Canadian regulatory process was modified to permit regulatory amendments having low significance when assessed against a triage framework to proceed directly to final approval and publication in Canada Gazette, Part II.
The IMAs noted above are enabling measures as they allow the sale of additional foods containing the food additive, or the sale of food containing the food additive at higher levels than previously permitted. No concerns or issues have been identified by Canada’s trading partners since the IMAs were issued.
The evaluation of the available data supports the safety and efficacy of these food additives in the above specified uses. Therefore, the Food and Drug Regulations have been amended to permit the use of the food additives mentioned above in the specified applications.
These Regulations entered into force on 15 March 2012.
|This addendum concerns a:|
|[ ] Modification of final date for comments|
|[X] Notification of adoption, publication or entry into force of regulation|
|[ ] Modification of content and/or scope of previously notified draft regulation|
|[ ] Withdrawal of proposed regulation|
|[ ] Change in proposed date of adoption, publication or date of entry into force|
|[ ] Other:|
|Comment period: (If the addendum extends the scope of the previously notified measure in terms of products and/or potentially affected Members, a new deadline for receipt of comments should be provided, normally of at least 60 calendar days. Under other circumstances, such as extension of originally announced final date for comments, the comment period provided in the addendum may vary.)|
|[ ] Sixty days from the date of circulation of the addendum to the notification and/or (dd/mm/yy): Not applicable|
|Agency or authority designated to handle comments: [ ] National Notification Authority, [ ] National Enquiry Point. Address, fax number and e-mail address (if available) of other body:|
|Text available from: [ ] National Notification Authority, [X] National Enquiry Point. Address, fax number and e-mail address (if available) of other body:|
|The full text of the adopted measure can be downloaded from the Internet addresses indicated below:
or requested from:
Canadian Enquiry Point
Standards Council of Canada
200-270 Albert Street
Tel: +(613) 238-3222
Fax: +(613) 569-7808