Frutas y HortalizasJul. 14, 2017
Australia: Exportaciones de frutas caen más de un 34% (texto en inglés)
While many horticulture crops have sectors have seen growth, others have not been so fortunate in the first quarter of this year. A report released by Euromonitor International last week found table-grape exports dropped 34 percent in the first quarter. Cherries, apples and pears also saw a drop of 33%.
The Australian Table Grape Association said earlier this year that harvest was delayed by three to four weeks due to poor seasonal conditions. The industry exports about 60 per cent of its crop with the remaining 40 per cent consumed domestically.
The report found from January to March, Australian table-grape exports dropped to all markets, except for China.
Despite the decline in cherry exports, the report found exports to the United Arab Emirates increased in terms of value. This was due to strong cherry prices.
“The price of cherries to the UAE rose strongly, reflecting a price point of $12.80 per kg in the first quarter compared with $8.20 per kg in the first quarter of last year,” the report said.
The Australian cherry industry aims to lift exports to 12,000 tonnes by 2020-21, which would be an increase of more than 340 per cent in comparison with 2015 export volumes.